Google
 
Friday, November 19, 2010
 

The Invention of Lying


The Invention of LyingI wasn't sure if I was going to like this movie going into it. The beginning of the movie didn't real lead me to believe it was going to be all that good either. By the end of the movie I was laughing pretty good. It's a fun concept and allows writers some wiggle room for silly jokes.

The thing that bothered me about this movie and "Liar Liar", which had a similar plot, was the fact that they show people saying unnecessary truths. Just because you can't lie doesn't mean you would say mean and hurtful things even if you felt them. Kind of the difference between not lying and not saying. Either way this concern was quickly alleviated for me when it becomes clear that saying these truths is more of a characteristic of this "no lying" world. Once I got over that I was able to enjoy the movie more.

The movie itself is pretty simple but it does have some underlying messages even if they do get some what mottled and don't fully evolve in this movie. It's almost as if they wanted to get a bit deeper with the movie but ended up leaving the conclusions on the cutting room floor.

In the end this movie becomes a delightful romp with plenty of laughs even if some are cheap jokes provided by the main no-lies concept.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger


Expedia's Stock:
EXPE Stock
.