Google
 
Tuesday, April 08, 2008
 

American Idol Recap/Thoughts


Inspirational song Week.



Michael Johns was first up singing Dream On by Aerosmith. This is one of a few songs I actually like by Aerosmith. The beginning of the song was fairly bland for me. I don't think he pulled it off. He voice was almost too manly and/or low for it. Not a good song choice for him. He tried to hit the high screech at the end, but it was still lacking.

Randy thought it was a pretty good song for him but just thought it was all right.
Paula loved it, not surprisingly. She thought it was perfect. "You sound as good as you look". I believe that sums up Paula's feelings about him (this season's crush for her).
Simon said the performance was pretty good, but he does not like when Michael does an impersonation of a rock star.

Not a great start in my opinion.


Syesha Mercado was up second. "I believe" by Fantasia was her choice.
She is my favorite remaining. She has a good look and is very good singer to top it off. That is a good combo. Picking an idol song is a good way to get in favor with the judge.
She started with Ryan giving a shout out to Ramiele who was elminated last week and was also her roomate since hollywood week.

I'm not real impressed with the song itself. Syesha definitly has the voice to pull off any song. She can perform as well. I think she has to be considered top 3 of this contest and anything less is a shame. The performance ended with a hell of a hitting of a high note. A very very good performance.

Randy loves Fantasia but didn't find that Syesha made a special connection with her. Sounds like he was too busy promoting Fantasia then judging Syesha.
Paula said it was one of Syesha's "most shining nights". Ok.
Simon thought she sang it well. He did say Syesha lacked a little bit of the emotion from her. Sounds similar to what Randy said, she needs to make more of a connection through the songs.

Not too bad from the judges.


Up next Jason Castro singing "somewhere over the rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo "brother Iz". Now I love this song. I first heard it in "50 first dates" starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore. I am not a fan of Jason, his eyes and blank stare kind of creep me out.
The song starts and I am already feeling it is subpar to Iz's version. He does a weird high pitched part in the middle and that just seems so out of place for me. I did not like that. Overall I was not a fan. He remade a remake.
Randy loved that song, thought it was the hottest of the night.
Paula thinks Jason has a unique sound and loves him.
Simon thought it was fantastic.

I am amazed. I didn't think he did a great job of it. I bet America will continue to love him though. He will be safe especially with those great comments from the judges.


Kristy Lee Cook is singing "Anyway" by Martina McBride. A good choice already picking a country song. That fits in with her strengths.
The song I am unfamiliar with but sounds decent and countryish. Of course she does a good job with it. She will have a country album at the end of this competition no problem. I am actually fairly impressed with her performance. She still does this weird leg thing. She puts it out in front of her and kind of taps her foot. You will notice it now that I mentioned it. I think this might be the best I have seen her on Idol. Will the Judges agree?

Randy thought it was a bit pitchy but he loved it for her.
Paula thought she outdid herself and thought it was her best so far. Looks like she agrees with me.
Simon liked it a lot. Implied that she nailed the song and said she looked like a star tonight.

She might actually be out of the bottom 3 for the first time in a while.


David Cook "the rocker" is singing "innocent" from his favorite band, Our Lady Peace.
I'm not sold on David yet. Let's see what he can do with a song I am not familiar with. The song starts off very muffled. What is he doing? Trying to smother the microphone with his mouth? I am not very impressed. He did a walk through the crowd up to the judges but it doesn't sound too much like singing to me. At the end he reveals a message on his palm. "give back". A nice little gimmick that might buy him some points with America but I just think is a cheesy ploy.

Randy said he likes David but didn't get it tonight.
Paula thought it was good and added some mumbles.
Simon did not like it at all. Thought it was a bit pompous and his weakest performance in many weeks.

So it wasn't just me that felt it was a lackluster performance. I like when the judges and me agree.


Carly Smithson is singing "The Show Must Go On" by Queen. I am curious to hear what she does with this song. I think it could be one she could really own and rock it. Or she could bomb it.

The beginning is very similar to Queen. No surprises yet.
She is failing me. She's just doing an OK job. At one point she moves the mic to far from her mouth and we loose her singing all together. At this point I need to mention that her outfit is horrible. The pants make her look absolutely dumpy and she didn't need help with that in the first place.

Randy said it started out good and lost a bit in the middle and overall was just ok.
Wow, Paula was not sold on it. She didn't feel engaged with the song.
Simon thought she looked good, which I'm surprised about. He thought she oversang the song and didn't think it was a good song choice. He warned that she might be in trouble after tonight.

I agree with him. She seems destined with the bottom 3 on Thursday.


David Archuleta who has to be considered one of the top 2 if not the favorite contestant. I think he is pretty good and would have him in my top 3 but he also freaks me out a little bit. Can't quite put my finger on why. He sings decently but I find his voice slightly raspy for my liking. He also seems like a very young little boy. He is singing "Angels" by Robbie Williams (I believe it's him). A song I like by Robbie.
David is seated at a piano and seems to have slowed down the song a bit. I'm not sure I like the pace of the song, but this kid is belting out the lyrics. He definitely can sing. He picked up the volumn int eh 2nd half of the song and he killed it. He nailed this song. I may be becoming a fan real fast. He might be #1 and pushing Syesha to a distant #2. The crowd loves him.

Randy loved it, hottest moment of the season.
Paula loved it.
Simon thought it was best song choice of the night. Didn't think it was his best vocal but thinks David sails though to next round.
Again, Simon and I agree. David is super easily safe.


Closing the show is Brooke White with "You've Got A Friend" by Carole King. Brooke is an interesting competitor and seems to be possibly turning a corner and becoming a threat. She has to know her limits.
She comes out dressed pretty good (for a change). The song starts typical of Carole King. She needed to pick it up at the refrain and she did not. I think it was a nice performance but as Simon says, it is not rememberable. Just not a very inspiring performance especially after David. She ends the performance in tears.

Randy just thought it was all right.
Paula said it was her favorite song growing up and called her definitive. This is a good time to remind people that Paula very rarely makes sense.
Simon compared it to a pleasant walk in the park. So he basically made my point.
She can probably count on being in the bottom three. She does not look ok after this performance. Very sad and maybe upset. She might know she did not do as well as she needed.


My thoughts on thursday's results?


Top 3:
David Archuleta
Michael Johns
Jason Castro (ugh)

Middle 2:
Syesha Mercado
Kristy Lee Cook

Bottom 3:
Carly Smithson
Brooke White
David Cook

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger


Expedia's Stock:
EXPE Stock
.