Google
 
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
 

American Idol -- Mariah Carey Night


Disclaimer ... not sure I like Mariah Carey songs enough for this episode.

David Archuleta was up first. The judges seemed to like him. I guess he was good, but I'm not sure of the song. He was just all right for me.

Carly Smithson was second. Ugh, "I waaas, I was". I don't really like her. She seems disingenuous. Not sure why, but I get that feeling.

She is singing "Without You". This is actually a song I know and like. Carly is singing it a bit deeper than Mariah, I think. She did it much softer too, not belting it like Mariah did. Not sure on her arrangements for these songs. Seems she feels the need to change them too much. I have actually heard her sing better than this before. I didn't really like it.

Randy seemed just so-so with the song. Paula tried to make the best of it but not sure she came across too positive. Simon wanted her to sing the song, but didn't think she was able to pull it off. I agree. He said she was over-thinking it (kind of like what I said above too).

Syesha Mercado is singing "Vanishing" another one that I am not sure I know.

I'm not sure she was able to make the connection with the audience. This continues to be her biggest problem. It sure isn't the singing as she nails that part.

The judges? Randy liked it, thought it was the toughest song to sing of the night. Paula rambled but liked it. Simon said it was very good technically but is afraid that she picked a song that not many people know. This is a valid concern. I'm waiting for someone to do dream lover or one of the popular songs I know. Overall they liked her performance.

Brooke White is singing "Hero", a song I am familiar with so it will be easier for me to judge Brooke. This goes to the point Simon made above. If American knows the song, they probably think they can easier judge when it is sung well. Of course if you try to sing it differently (as Brooke has too since she is a different singer) then this could also backfire.

As she is singing, I am afraid that it is indeed backfiring. It is just Brooke and a piano and it seems a bit too bar singer for me. She seems almost monotoned through the song. She is hurrying through it and keeping the pace very fast. I didn't really like it.

Randy didn't like the bridge and seemed tepid on the whole thing. Paula likes her uniqueness. Paula mentioned that she sped up through the song. So it wasn't just me then. Simon said she was kind of forced to do it in the style she did. She was in trouble with Mariah's songs. She just doesn't have a strong enough voice for this week.

Kristy Lee Cook is probably going to turn "Forever" into a song into a country style version since that is what she has to do to be a good singer.

She comes out in a dress, she must be uncomfortable in it being a tomboy. Will she do her knee pump move in a dress? Time will tell. She seems to be singing very confidently. that will really sell a song. I liked it. It worked well for her. She did do a small knee pump in there by the way.

Randy tried to say he didn't love it, but I think he enjoyed it. Paula, I think, is saying she is coming on strong. Simon didn't love it, but acknowledged she was in a tough spot with Mariah songs. That seems to be the theme for the night, no one is suited for her songs. What a shock.

David Cook chose "Always Be My Baby" and I am sure he will try to rock it out. Did I mention that I don't like Chris Daughtry? I say this because David Cook is trying to go the same route. Sweet, another vest with a skinny tie hung loose around the neck. Hasn't he tried this before?

His version of this song actually had some good parts to it for me. Then again I do actually like when bands cover songs and change the genre of them. Yeah, I do kind of like his version. I bet one of the judges mentions that they thought Mariah's songs were going to be tough on him but he pulled it off.

Randy thinks he is ready to make an album, more so than any other on the show. That is high praise I suppose. I bet he is hoping that he doesn't win now. That way he can get a contract on his own and not be tied into the winner's contract. Paula says he has the whole package. Simon liked the originality of the song. He should be safe.

Jason Castro is performing "I don't want to cry". I think this will be a struggle for him. He still creeps me out. He has bongos playing this song. He reminds me of Seal maybe? Anyone else feel that too? For the most part his songs still bore me.

Randy didn't love it. Paula loved it. I guess she still has a crush on him. Simon surprisingly liked it. I thought it would be too campy for Simon. That was the biggest surprise for me.

My bottom three?
Carly Smithson
Jason Castro
Brooke White

My alternate (in case people liked Jason Castro, although I think it was too odd) is Syesha unfortunately. I'm not sure she is going to pull it together in time to win.

Surprisingly I think Kristy Lee Cook is safe this week. I know she has flirted with the bottom three many times, but I think people may be getting her and she is finishing strong.

We shall see tomorrow night I guess.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger


Expedia's Stock:
EXPE Stock
.