Google
 
Monday, August 16, 2004
 

USA Basketball loses again


http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer04/basketball/news/story?id=1859825

In the wake of another 'Dream Team' losing another international basketball game, I think I need to weigh in. First off, I don't know about you guys, but my Dream Team would not include Carlos Boozer. Not that he doesn't deserve to be on the team, but does he or Shawn Marion sound dreamy to you? Duncan, yes of course. Lebron and Carmelo young and dreamy. Let's face it though. The DREAM TEAM was a one time occurance. Athletes that were the best in their sport (and Laettner) all on one team. You don't see athletes from the other countries trying to pose with Duncan and AI during the games like you did with Larry, Jordan and Magic do you?

I think you really knew the DREAM TEAM was a misnomer when Hakeem Olajuwon suited up. No offense to him, great player. He deserved to be one of the top 50 the NBA mentioned a few years ago. However, we had to import a big man from Africa, get him citizenship and then jam him on the team. That was drawing the line for me.

But, I digress. The USOC is now sending these players to the games, with their eyes on marketing (selling shirts) and not with winning ball games. That is a shame. I have more to say, but I have to go buy my Olympic Marion shirt while there are still some available ...

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger


Expedia's Stock:
EXPE Stock
.