Google
 
Friday, September 05, 2003
 

Record Industry getting smart?


Based on this report:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3079854.stm


It's about time the record industry started listening to all the reporters
saying "I bet this wouldn't be a problem if they lowered the price of CDs".
We all know now the cost that the companies incur while making the CDs is a
small fraction of the price that we end up paying. Even more annoying is
the fact that CDs cost the same to make as Cassettes yet cassettes are sold
for dollars less.
 I myself haven't bought a CD in years (aside form the
Dixie Chicks latest CD). I also haven't downloaded much music since my
freshman year (5 years ago) so that isn't the sole reason I stopped buying
CDs. I think it might have to do with so much music being crap now.
Especially the insistence on one hit CDs. I wouldn't buy a CD unless I knew
there was more than 1 song I like was on my $20 CD.

"You could make downloading music go away tomorrow and the industry would still face
challenges"
--Sean Baenen
Odyssey, research company

Good quote.The industry is in such disarray, that it faces much more serious problems than people
downloading their music for free. One huge problem is that the fact that
most musicians don't make much money from albums. Their labels do, and then
the band can hopefully tour.Some 53% of adults said they had stopped buying
music because it was too expensive, the survey found. Ya, obviously. No
music today is really worth paying $20 for it.They should look at DVD sales.
The new ones come out at $15. People pay that, even though they could
download the movie. The record industry is selling an overpriced inferior
product. Nothing is terribly new and exciting with CDs anymore.

Bottom Line: you cn't sell cow pies at filet mignon prices.



Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger


Expedia's Stock:
EXPE Stock
.