Google
 
Wednesday, July 02, 2003
 

Overrated


thanks again espn.com for inspiration

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/alltimeoverrated.html


I will give you my big four most overated athletes in the games.


  • Scottie Pippen

  • Kobe Bryant

  • Derek Jeter

  • Phil Jackson



    Pippen


    Hi, my name is Scottie Pippen. I was chosen to play with micheal jordan. Why do people think i am any better than BJ armstrong? This is a guy who played with the best player in the league(ever? I doubt it, but think what you want). I personally do not like jordan and think he ruined the nba. Still his team was good enough to win some championships. I'll even grant the first 3 no questions asked, but i believe they got some help form the nba(the refs) in some of those games and definatly in the last few runs. Of course This is about Scottie. The ultimate coattail rider. He is one of the 50 greatest yet he couldn't make more noise with houston with Hakeen and barkley? Come on Scottie, you aren't that good.
    I just can't see anything about this guys game that is that spectular unless it is playign along side Jordan. He's not helping Portland either is he?


    Kobe


    Its the teen ager that was lucky to play with Shaq. Annointed by the nba as the heir to Jordan will help you alot. It will get you calls in the league. Calls that just aren't good. Woe is the nba official, the biased official. This kid is playing pippen to Shaq's Jordan. Shaq is the greatest player in the game right now(when he wants to be) and kobe is enjoying it. I would love for kobe to leave the lakers in a year and find out life with out shaq leads to nice regular season numbers but poor team success.


    Jeter


    Let's start with Mr. Jeter. He isn't a BAD player, don't get me wrong. He just isnt as great as the media portrays him to be. After A-Rod got his money and jeter was getting ready for his new contract, the only buzz around him was about his rings.
    The media said "I wonder how much money a 3 time champion is worth". I say not much. Baseball is a team game. Jeter didn't carry those teams to the world series. He was along for the ride.
    There are many stats that support the fact that jeter isn't a great short stop(compared with a-rod, nomar, tejada etc). Sure I bet some teams would line up to get his services(Brewers, Pirates, astros, etc). However the question you need to ask is
    Would the yankees have won with other shortstops playing for him. My short answer is yes. Lets list off some Short Stops who are better than him(or equal) in the league right now.

  • A-Rod (of course, he looks like best EVER)
  • Nomar
  • Tejada(despite a bad year so far)
  • furcal (a very good substitute)
  • Renteria
  • aurilia
  • cabrera
  • rollins
    I could go on but i am boring myself. Look at jeters stats the past few years. Not that many home runs, batting average is good(hes a solid 300 hitter). I find the most telling stats is his Runs Scored. That is where he sparkles. And you know what? He isnt stealing home. He has been helped out by a VERy productive lineup behind him. If anyone played ss for the yankees these past years and hit 300 like him, they wouldve scored as many runs.


    The worst thing he has ever done though? Mariah Carey ... Ouch never can live that one down.


    'Zen Master' Phil Jackson


    Does this guy even coach? I coudl come up with a game plan for his 9 championship teams. first 6: Give the ball to Jordan, next 3: Give the ball to shaq. Maybe he is better than I realize but mostly i think it is the talent he lucked into(chicago) or chose (L.A.). He never does anythign on the sidelines and is busy trying to sell whatever Zen garbage he can think of. He isn't a coach coach. he is a mediator. maybe thats all the nba needs anymore, mediators(read: babysitters). Gone are the glory days of Red, Chuck Daly, and other coaches who drew up game plans and actually coached players on what to do with the other team and found players to fit into their systems. Its a whole new (sad) ballgame folks.






    Sure there are others that are overrated. Perhaps even some athletes from boston (can't be antoine everyone now knows hes terrible). But since I wrote this i got to choose my biggest 4 overrated athletic performers. I think there are good arguements for these 4 although I know there are people that will defend them. Good. Debate is fun. Esepcially when I am right.

  • Comments: Post a Comment

    Powered by Blogger


    Expedia's Stock:
    EXPE Stock
    .